Ant Man Review




"I'm Ant Man ..... what you haven't heard of me ..... nah you wouldn't of heard of me"


I have been a big fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe but have only just started reading some of the comics so the first time I had heard of Ant Man was when Marvel announced Ant Man would be the latest addition to the cinematic universe, my reaction ..... who? like many others I was skeptical about the idea but I am glad to say that I love this film and Ant Man is a great addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

First of all the cast is brilliant, we have Paul Rudd as the shrinking superhero Ant Man (Does Phoebe know what you do in your spare time?), Michael Douglas as Hank Pym and Evangeline Lily as Hope Van Dyne, all the cast do an excellent job but one character stands out .... his name is Luis played by Michael Pena who is hilarious with his fast paced exaggerated dialogue (honestly he is extremely funny). This film also felt very fresh in terms of what we have come to expect from Marvel films most of the film felt really different (that's in a good way though!) it made it fun and exiting and stand out as one of the better origin stories Marvel has done with its characters. I was worried that Marvel was going to try to go bigger and better then there latest box office hit Avengers Age of Ultron but instead they choose to go smaller in scale (no pun intended) and make the stakes more personal which really works.

 The CGI in the film was brilliant and I love how they created the world from a shrunken Ant Mans point of view, the detail is just amazing especially on Ant Mans closest allies the ants, these ants are so cute (I know it sounds weird but its so true!!) and rivals the likes of Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy especially one ant called Antony (such a good name for an ant) who you become very attached too during the film. The cameos and references are also great and don't feel forced at all and help place the film within the ever growing cinematic universe, no spoilers (I know you want to know) but they are honestly very well done.

If I had to be very picky I would say that maybe the opening was a bit on the slow side, but if you look at the film as a whole the slow start really helps to introduce who is who (especially for anyone who is not familiar with the characters including me) but I can see if people might find the opening a bit slow (but trust me it helps later on and connects you to the characters). Also I would of liked a bit more screen time for a certain key character in Marvel history (no spoilers) as I found that aspect really interesting and key to the characters relationship in the film, so I would of liked more of that aspect (but that's just me wanting to know more!).

Overall I thought this film was ANT-TASTIC (I'm sorry it just had to be done!), I really had a lot of fun and enjoyment watching this film and I personally think that it is up there with some of the best Marvel films from the cinematic universe, certainly one of the best origin stories. This film certainly doesn't disappoint and is extremely enjoyable. Can't wait to see more of Ant Man in the future (hint hint civil war!!!).

P.S. You need to (and I mean need to) stay for both post credit scenes they are honestly two of the best post credit scenes we have seen in a while!

Verdict 5 out of 5 stars

Comments

Popular Posts