Captain America: Civil War Review




"I'm sorry Tony. If I see a situation pointed south, I can't ignore it . Sometimes I wish I could."


Captain America: Civil War is the third Captain America film in the Captain America franchise and acts as a sequel to Captain America: The Winter Soldier and last years Avengers: Age of Ultron. The film was Directed by the Russo brothers (Joe and Anthony Russo) and as one of the biggest assembled superhero cast any Marvel movie has seen yet including Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr, Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Don Cheadle, Jeremy Renner, Chadwick Boseman, Paul Bettany, Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Rudd and Tom Holland. (yes that's a lot of superheroes in one film!!!). I promise there will be NO SPOILERS in this review (it will be so difficult but I will try my best".

Lets start of by saying that I really (and I mean really) loved this film, personally I think this is one of the strongest films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The tone of this film seemed more dark and mature than some of the other Marvel films that we have watched over the years but come on it has to be with a title like Civil War. I really liked the tone of the film and really enjoyed those moments of comic relief that broke up the darker tone, which I personally thought was a nice balance. The acting in this film is some of the best that we have seen in the MCU especially from the likes of Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr both actors performances in this film allowed us to see a different side of the character and added a greater depth to the characters that we have come to love in the MCU. Trust me when watching this film you will be swapping sides between what has been labelled as Team Cap and Team Stark not just because of the politically issues and opinions but because there performances and emotional stakes draw you closer to each character so you keep changing sides (I know I was for sure).

You can't have a superhero film without action set pieces and this film certainly delivers on some of the best action set pieces that have been seen in superhero films. One set piece that stands out is the confrontation at the airport sequence, which is just amazing to watch as superhero sides clash. Also the introduction of new characters such as Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman), Spider-Man (Tom Holland) and Daniel Bruhl's Baron Zemo. All these additions to the cast were amazing, Black Panther stole the show for me and was defiantly one of the stand out characters and even one of the standout elements of the entire film which has made me really look forward to the solo Black Panther film. Tom Hollands Spider-Man was also a standout moment for me, personally I really loved Hollands interpretation of the character, we have seen Spider-Man in so many reboots over the last couple of years but Spider-Man just feels right again with Marvel and being in the MCU and his geeky, quick whited, jokey nature really shines in this film. I wasn't sure about the costume when seeing Spider-Man in the trailer but when you see it on the big screen it just works (trust me).

I have to be really picky to try and find things about this film that I did not enjoy as I really enjoyed it that much. For me personally maybe there was abit too much shaky camera movements in the film, this defiantly enhanced the fact that the audience are there in the earlier fight sequence itself, but for me personally it through me out for a second and I kept having to re just my focus on the image, but that might just be me. Also in a couple of places I thought the CGI could of been a bit sharper in some places but come on I am being really picky now.

Overall I really enjoyed this film and would highly recommend it as one of the strongest films in the MCU, if you are a Marvel fan you will love this as there are some really cool and exciting moments that I won't spoil for you (trust me it is so difficult!!!). The Russo brothers have succeeded again and I really can't wait to see how they bring together more superheroes in Avengers: Infinity Wars part 1 + 2 coming out in the near future.

P.S. you need to stay and watch those post credit scenes especially the first one but hey no spoilers on here!!

Verdict: 5 out of 5 Stars

Comments

Popular Posts