Wonder Woman Review




"I will fight, for those who can not fight for themselves!"


Wonder Woman is the latest instalment into the rapidly expanding DCEU (DC Extended Universe) and finally puts the DCEU back on track after many people where left disappointed after the likes of Man of Steel, Batman VS Superman and Suicide Squad. Wonder Woman was directed by Patty Jenkins and stars the likes of Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Connie Nielsen, Danny Huston and David Thewlis. The film follows Diana (Wonder Woman) as she begins to discover not just her powers but also her place in a world that she has been protecting from all her life.

Wonder Woman finally puts the DCEU back on track and honestly is a breath of fresh air not just in the DCEU but also in the wider superhero genre. I have to give credit to the director Patty Jenkins for bringing such a developed and interesting character such as Wonder Woman to the screen. Gal Gadot does an amazing job at portraying Wonder Woman and is charming on the big screen and her chemistry with Chris Pine's Steve Trevor is a stand out element of the film and one that will please many fans. Having Wonder Woman in a fish out of water situation not only makes the film fresh and allows for Gadot to create a strong and compelling character but also allows for some really great comedic sequences (honestly really funny!), but the comedy does not distract from the film but enhances the film in many ways. The action set pieces were also exciting (even though some went on a little too long) and one set piece involving Wonder Woman entering no man's land and liberating a village under siege is breathtaking and it could be one of the best action set pieces in the superhero genre (especially in the DCEU!). I also really loved the contrast between Diana's sheltered paradise and the devastated outside world during the events of World War 1. These two settings created such a contrast in colours and tone for the film and honestly looked stunning on the big screen.

There really was not much that I did not like about the film. I personally felt that during the first act of the film there was some pacing issues, especially leading up the events of the outside world finding Diana's home (won't go into too much spoiler details!), but at points the pacing through me out of the film, it did not take me long to get back into the film, but those little moments for me effected the opening and the set up of the film. I also thought at times the CGI could of been a little bit sharper, a times during sequences the CGI was a little soft and not as sharp as it could of been, it did not ruin my experience of the overall set pieces but it was noticeable (to me anyway). I also was not too keen of the slow motion sequences during the film, honestly there were some moments which looked great in slow motion, which I was completely ok with, but at times it did seem a slightly unnecessary (maybe that's just my preference!)

Overall I really enjoyed and highly recommend the film; there are some slight issues here and there, but nothing that ruined the film for me. If you are fan of the character and the DCEU then I am certain you will absolutely love this film, it honestly is the best film in the DCEU by a mile and I really look forward to seeing the character again later this year in Justice League.

Verdict: 4 out of 5 stars


Comments

Popular Posts