Lego Batman Movie Review




"You wanna play games, do you Batman?...Save the city or catch your greatest enemy!!"


We are finally back! and our latest review is on The Lego Batman Movie. The Lego Batman Movie was directed by Chris Mckay and stars the likes of Will Arnett as the caped crusader himself Batman (just in plastic form!), Michael Cera as Robin, Rosario Dawson as Barbara Gorden aka Batgirl, the one and only Ralph Fiennes as Alfred and Zach Galifianakis as the Joker (probably the cutest version we have seen of the character!)

The Lego Batman Movie is a spin off from the highly successful Lego Movie which was released back in 2014 (seems so long ago!) Instead of focusing on the gang from the Lego Movie this film focuses on one of its stand out stars... Batman! (of course they had too!) Whilst this film doesn't have a necessarily complex narrative structure it seriously makes up for it in amazing animations, set pieces (no pun intended!) and comedic moments which made me absolutely love this film, (I honestly have not laughed in a film as much as I did in this film). Let's start off by saying that the voice talent in this film was spot on, Will Arnett of course steals the show as Batman and the likes of Michael Cera, Rosario Dawson and Ralph Fiennes also do amazing jobs, but for me the surprise stand out star was Zach Galifianakis as the Joker, not only does he bring out the Jokers playful side, but also makes you feel and relate to the Joker which has not been done before (Probably because it's a kid friendly version of the character). The action set pieces also stood out and seemed like a step up from those in the Lego Movie and what really surprised me was how the filmmakers managed to balance fun and exciting action set pieces with scenes that allow the characters to develop emotionally which adds another dimension to this film which I was not expecting. For those fans who love their references (I know I do!) I am pleased to say that there are loads from different DC comic films including a certain television series from the 60s to having DC obscure characters appear (honestly there were loads) but also having references to the original Lego Movie as well (won't ruin it for you but keep an eye out!)

There was not much about the film that I did not like at all, Even though its not the most complicated film that has ever been made or the most ground breaking it certainly is a really fun and enjoyable film which I absolutely loved (made me feel like a kid again). If I had to be really picky I would say that some of the transitions between sequences was a little off, one if particular would be after the amazingly fast actions set piece at the beginning of the film, as soon as that sequence is over the pace of the film slows down to show Batman alone. Honestly I understand the thinking behind the change in pace as a filmmaker but as an audience member it took me a while to focus back to the film after such a fast paced action set piece. Also I would of liked to have seen more of the DC villains in the film, you do get to see them in set pieces but a couple more scenes with them would of been perfect especially as some major villains are sidelined in the film (but that is probably me expecting too much!)

Honestly I would highly recommend this film, and in my opinion it is one of the best animated films I have seen in a very long time, its funny, action packed, the visuals are great and an incredibly fun film that kids will defiantly love and of course the parents will love it too (in our screening most of the laughter came from the parents!)

If you can name every villainous character in the film then you seriously have some DC knowledge there are some obscure ones I warn you!!

Verdict: 5 out of 5 stars

Comments

Popular Posts