Suicide Squad Review



"This is the deal: You disobey me, you die. You try to escape, you die. You irritate or vex me.... and guess what? You die!"


Suicide Squad is the latest entry into the DCEU (DC Extended Universe) and was directed and written by David Ayer and stars the likes of Will Smith (Deadshot), Viola Davis (Amanda Waller), Jared Leto (The Joker), Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn), Jai Courtney (Captain Boomerang), Jay Hernandez (Diablo), Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Killer Croc), Cara Delevingne (Enchantress), Karen Fukuhare (Katana) and Joel Kinnaman (Rick Flag). The film follows a secret US government agency who assembles a group of villains to act as a taskforce to help take down Metahumans who pose a serious threat to the world.

I just want to start off this review by stating that I was a little disappointed with this film, I was really excited about a film, especially a superhero film exploring the relationships and seeing the DCEU from the point of view of the villains but the film did not deliver as much as I wanted it to, not to say that this film is a bad film its just no great either. Now lets get into the good points about the film (and there are some good points!). I really enjoyed Will Smith as Deadshot I really thought he gave a good performance in the film and added an extra emotional depth to the film having Deadshot's daughter included in the film as well. I also really enjoyed Margot Robbie's portrayal of Harley Quinn and for me she stole nearly scene she was in and I think Jared Leto did a good job as The Joker (one of my favourite villains!) but I just need to mention that I will need to see more of the Joker to make a truly honest decision about this version of the Joker. I also really liked the fact that the film introduces a lot of DC villains that we have not had the chance to shine especially in previous DC films especially the likes of Killer Croc and Diablo. The film also had some really good cameos especially from the likes of a certain dark knight whose brief appearance is much welcomed and really helps connect and build the DCEU, there also is another amazing cameo earlier on in the film which is a really good surprise for us fans. (I wont spoil who it is but the cameo speeds by!!).

On the other hand I had some issues with the film which was mainly down to the editing of the film. For me as an audience member the editing just seemed really off and some scenes just felt really unnatural being placed together and some scenes and especially the edit just seemed like it jumped around for no real reason (which really took me out of the film). I also felt like there needed more development in terms of the story structure as some scenes just didn't fit together and just felt jumpy and things just happened without any development or build up which for me felt very strange when watching the film. Lack of development in the film also can relate to some of the characters as in my opinion some of the characters in the Suicide Squad were not developed enough as just seemed like  there were just put into the team just for the sake of it especially the likes of Killer Croc, Captain  Boomerang and Katana who sure had a quick introduction but did not really develop over the course of the film which just made them feel useless in a way, just like Cara Delevingne whose character (the films main villain who the squad must stop) just feels like an added waste but that could be just a bad performance on her behalf.

Overall I think that the film was ok, it wasn't terrible (there are some really good element!) but its not entirely great either (I really wish it was). I think if you are a big fan of DC and the DCEU so far then you will enjoy the film but don't expect anything as good as it looked in the first couple of trailers. Maybe I set my expectations to high for this film but I have to admit that I am disappointed with the latest entry into the DCEU.

Make sure you stay for the post credits sequence, the wait for the Justice League begins!

Verdict: 3 out of 5 stars

Comments

Popular Posts