The Danish Girl Review




"I think Lily's thoughts , I dream her dreams. She was always there."


Welcome back everyone to our first review of 2016, and our first review (drum roll please!!!) is The Danish Girl directed by Tom Hooper and staring Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander.This film focuses on the topic of transgender through Eddie Redmaynes character Einar but also shows you how Einars wife Gerda (played by Alicia Vikander) deals with Einars revelation and how she copes with his decision to embrace Lily.

First of all we need to talk about the acting, both Redmayne and Vikander give fantastic performances, surely Redmayne must be a contender for this years Oscars (we will have to wait and see!) as he truly gives an amazing performance just like in last years The Theory of Everything but dont under estimate Alicia Vikander as she also gives a fantastic performance, personally whilst watching the film I was more connected with Vikanders character (Gerda) as I felt that Einar/Lily's character was occasionally harsh on Gerda, if that is the intention Tom Hooper wanted then fair play it certainly played off.

The film is also extremely beautiful, the film itself is set in Copenhagen in 1926 and the filmmakers really use the setting of Copenhagen to bring the film to life, the way the film is shot especially when the characters are walking in Copenhagen is really beautiful (I mean some shots look like paintings that is how beautiful they are). You also get a real sense of the different people living in Copenhagen at the time and this gives the film a real sense of reality and allows you to explore the lives of people living in Copenhagen in 1926. I also think that the filmmakers handle the topic of transgender extremely well not only does the film explore how Einar thinks and feels especially leading up to the decision of transitioning into Lily but it also explores the people around him especially Gerda which I think brings an extra layer to the film and shows the decision of transitioning to Lily from different view points (which is a really strong element of the film).

On the other hand the film seems to be dragged out and whilst you are sitting watching the film it starts to feel as if the film might go on for ever, it defiantly feels longer than it actually is. My other complaint is through some parts of the film there is a lack of music, I know using music is not everything but I dont know if it is just me but personally I felt as if using just a bit more music would of helped me get more emotionally attached to the characters especially Einar/Lily's character because at some points of the film I did feel detached from the character and I think just a bit more music would of helped me emotionally connect more (but that's just my opinion!!)

Overall I did enjoy this film, I think its one of those films were you walk out thinking that was ok, then you start to think about it and it becomes better (might just be me).

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars




Comments

Popular Posts